Grand History of Building
Built and opened in 1895 as a one-room school house, the Aldborough S.S. No. 4 was used as a school for 60 years. The original slate chalkboards still adorn the walls in the Main Hall and the original hardwood floors provide a rich, warm setting. In 1955, the school was closed and the building became a community meeting place. In 1967, it was officially incorporated as the Eagle Community Centre and memberships were provided to interested individuals. A Board of Directors now oversees all business and provides the building for rent, organizes community fundraising events and maintains the historic building.
The community of Eagle was first laid out in lots in the year 1864. In 1872, the village was prospering and had a business section which included hotels, general merchants, sawmill, lumber dealer, carriage makers and shoemaker. At one point, Eagle had five hotels.
Information retrieved from local history book entitled “Aldborough – The Township With a Past” compiled by Harley Lashbrook.
Air Conditioning – Ontario Trillium Foundation funded the materials and installation of mini-split units for the upper and lower levels.